Re: Top frame

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Top frame
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:25:30 -0400
Hi David,

The front header of the soft top should have a rubber strip running across the
length of it. It fits into a C-shaped metal slot which is riveted in several
places on to the header. If you look in the Vicky Brit catalog, you will see the
metal slot, called a "retainer" (three pieces) and the gasket, called "header
top seal". Even after replacing mine, it still leaks. There may be different
shapes of this seal, some round tube, others a sort of U shape. That may explain
why some work and others don't. Mine is the U shaped.

Others have added a rubber weather-strip to it and had success sealing the small
gap. I have tried this using a thin weather-strip from Canadian Tire (5/32" I
think). I placed this strip onto the existing gasket to beef it up. It still
didn't solve the problem. I will be trying the next thicker material and putting
it just behind the existing gasket.

One thing for certain, all this rainy weather sure is a good time to be testing
and fixing this problem. It is hard to solve when the weather is dry.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario

http://www.vicwhit.com