evaporation loss system

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: evaporation loss system
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:14:44 -0600
Still trying to get my 1971 MK IV back to original
condition.  I got the adsorption canister plumbed correctly
with the correct carburetor, thanks to listers advice.

        Now I'm tackling the plumbing in the trunk.

        "Pre 1972 models have a large separator tank situated at
the rear of the right hand trim panel in the luggage
compartment.  The separator tank is connected by separate
pipes to each top corner of the main fuel tank."  (That's
from the Leyland Repair Operation Manual for MK IV.)
However, the diagram they show is for a more modern car,
with the little round separator tank atop the main fuel
tank.

        I have the correct fuel tank - it has a vapour line
connection at the top of each corner.  I have the separator
tank, with a connection at the top and bottom.  And I have a
fuel filler cap with a vented vapour connector on it.

Now, can someone please help me connect the numbers

1 fuel tank top right
2 fuel tank top left
3 fuel filler vent

4 separator tank top
5 separator tank bottom

6 adsorption (charcoal) canister.

At the moment I have
1 - 4,
2 - 5 with the long looped pipe around inside the trunk,
3 - 6 (the adsorption canister)

I'm not sure how this system is supposed to work, so not
sure how should hook up.

Advice gratefully welcomed.
Cheers, Fred

--