timing marks on mixed front plates or how I won the dummy of

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: timing marks on mixed front plates or how I won the dummy of
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:54:40 -0500
I'm working on a semi-rebuild, combining a 73 motor with a 77 motor.
I wanted to use some of the 77 parts because they look to be in better shape.
I used the 77 engine front plate.  There is a difference in the two
plates.  The 73 had three threaded holes on the left side of the plate that
received three screws.  On the 77 plate, those three wholes are not
threaded.  They receive the bolts that hold the brackets for the air pump.

Now that I have the 77 front plate securely behind the timing chain cover
and the crankshaft pulley, it occurred to me that there might be one other
difference.

HERE'S MY QUESTION.
Is the timing alignment mark on the 73 plate in the same position as the
timing alignment mark on the 77 plate?  By timing mark, I mean the mark on
the plate that you align with the marks on the crank and cam sprockets.

I guess behind that question is the question, "Is there a difference in the
timing alignment in the 73 and 77 motors?"

I humbly accept the dummy-of-the-week award for not checking these marks
before I put the darned thing back together.

Thanks.

Jeff Gruber