Carb and Timing adjustments - HELP!!!!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com,
Subject: Carb and Timing adjustments - HELP!!!!
From: Bradley D Richardson <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:19:35 -0700
80 Spit, electronic ignition, Weber DGV.  I'm still failing DEQ, the
local smog testing place.

First, the sticker on the inside of the hood says 2 degrees ATDC.  As
does Haynes, (it's originally a California model Spit).  Bentley doesn't
indicate anything for an 80, it stops at 77 for California models.  When
I first took it thru DEQ, timing was set at 8 degrees BTDC, (unknown to
me at the time, took it thru to see how bad it was prior to fiddling with
the thing).  Failed on CO.  Adjusted it to 2 degrees ATDC, failed, even
worse on the CO.  Is 2 degrees ATDC correct?  It appears if I adjust it
as it was on the first try, I'm better off for emissions (but still not
passing).  What would happen if I adjust it even further BTDC?

Second.  According to what little info I have about my Weber, when I
adjust it, the adjustment needed to get it to run it's best at idle,
(where you're supposed to adjust apparently), indicates my idle jet is
too big, causing the fuel mixture to be too rich.  How hard is it to
change the jets?  Does anyone have a Weber manual, who could scan the
pages talking about DGV's, and send it to me?

Thanks as always,

Brad, sad his Spit won't pass smog emissions.