To Hypoid or Not to Hypoid - Also GL4 versus GL5 - Gearbox

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: To Hypoid or Not to Hypoid - Also GL4 versus GL5 - Gearbox
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:01:16 -0500
I'm ready to put fresh oil in the gear box of my 77 Spit.
The manual says to use Hypoid SAE 90 EP.
But I can't find EP. I am told this equates to GL4 rating.
And I've read a posting that says do not use Hypoid in the gearbox.
And I've been told that GL5 should not be used cuz it can damage brass
fittings and some Triumph transmissions have brass fittings.
Sooooooo
1) Should I use Hypoid or not?
2) Does a 77 Spitfire have brass bits in the transmissions or is it safe to
use GL5?
3) And most of the oil I see in the stores is multi-viscosity. Is it ok to
use one of those?
Thanks.
Jeff "Still Trying to Name My Spit" Gruber