RE: Tires and rim width

To: "'SMatson802@aol.com'" <SMatson802@aol.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tires and rim width
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:49:22 -0400
Steve,

Technically, the spec sheet is correct. The recommended minimum
rim width for 175-70 is 5 inch. However, they will work and shouldn't
foul on 4.5 inch rims. The 5 inch recommendation is to cover the
tire manufacturer. The problem is that tires aren't designed for
cantilever (tread wider that rim) applications. If you were putting
them on a 4 inch rim, you would run into problems.

Doug Mitchell