Another Overdrive

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Overdrive
From: "Forster, George" <gforster@lanier.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:57:01 -0400
While on the subject of Overdrives, I have 2 problems:

1:  Is the OD wiring harness the same for a RHD GT6 and the LHD GT6?  I have
a UK market GT6 Mk3, and have been having OD problems.  Rimmer Bros. lists
the same harness for UK and European models, but I was confused when I saw
another OD harness marked "RHD" in their price list, directly above the
other one (one number different in the part number).  I have emailed rimmer
about this, but would like a second opinion from the list.

The harness begins at the ignition switch (on the steering column), runs
across the car, and out through a grommet below the fuse box, where it
connects to the lower section (to the solenoid and gear lever switch).

The original harness, as was on the car when I purchased it, was home-made
(all the wrong colors), and was toasted at the connection to the solenoid.
Being a UK car, US vendors are reluctant to sell me a new harness, for fear
that it will not be correct.

2:  I purchased this car last year, and the OD solenoid was burned out.  I
purchased a new Lucas solenoid from a local vendor, installed and adjusted
as per the factory manual, and it burned up within 2 months/3000 miles.
When I removed the solenoid, there was a substance sticking to the side of
the bore of the solenoid, preventing the plunger from actuating the cut-out
button for the "pull" coil.  The substance extended about 3-4mm from the
bottom of the bore, and covered about 3/4 of the circumference.  It was a
very thin coating, but enough to bind up the movement of the plunger.

Failure occurred as I engaged the solenoid one day: it engaged, then
slipped, then released completely.  For several days prior to the failure, I
noticed a bit of slipping under power (accelerating in OD 3rd).  Before
that, I had been driving the car daily, covering about 3000 miles in 2 1/2
months.

I scraped out a small piece of this substance, and it looked like acetate
(hard film) impregnated with metal filings.  I have purchased another
solenoid, but am looking for a possible cause of the problem before I
install another $100+ part in the car.  Nobody locally has been able to
offer a good solution, except for the man who sold it to me ("it had to be
something other than the solenoid" - no credit, no refunds, no guarantees on
electrical parts).

I'm also thinking of installing some sort of alarm to warn of an
over-current condition for the solenoid.  A 15A slow-blow fuse in line would
be effective, but a warning lamp or buzzer if the current exceeds 5A would
be better (it would flash once when engaging the OD, but would only stay on
if there was a problem).  Any ideas?  All of the local authorities are
stumped.

Thanks for any input,

George Forster
Georgia Triumph Association