Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:18:31 -0400
Nolan Penney wrote:
> Consider the number of Webers you see on race cars, as opposed to the number
> of SU's you see.  There's a reason top end racers use Webers on carbureted
> engines and not SU's.  And they aren't looking for low power.

> I'd suggest going with a downdraft Weber.  They are far more maintenance
> free than an SU.

  There is some debate around as to whether the twin SUs or
the sidedraft webers give more power. The Webers give you
a lot more adjustability which is both a curse and a blessing,
but for really hot cars with big cams this is likely important,
much less so with relatively typical cars.

  However the downdraft weber is very much not a performance
carb. There would certainly be some performance tradeoffs
going from a dual SU rig to a single downdraft.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca