Re: Erratic Idle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Erratic Idle
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:41:09 +0100
In article <4.2.2.20010817165602.02490c00@dougbraun.com>, Douglas Braun
& Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com> writes
>I have a theory:

<snip>

Thanks for this, Doug.   I'll have a play over the weekend, and see if
it cures the problem.

Having said that, I received the following information off-list:

"Anyway I assume you have a newer spitfire.  The idle from 1500 RPM down
to 850 RPM over 20-30 seconds, is actually how the later (78-80) US
spitfires were set up to run if everything is working correctly.  This
was done for emissions.  You mentioned that the carb had been worked on
in the last two weeks.  I would check the float level even a small
change there would effect the mixture."

Although I have a late-model Spit (November, 1977, i.e. 1978 model
year), it is UK, not Federal spec.   Nevertheless, the possibility that
she is behaving the way she is supposed to intrigues me.   Is this
possible?   Or is this behaviour only correct for US-spec Spits?

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"