Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers

To: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Seatbelts & Bumpers
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:48:34 -0600
>A car will only respond as you tell it to- I agree any person who

rushes up
>and jams on the brakes is an idiot- but we don't need a Pick-up

license-
>just better training, and more cops to ticket the idiots. And we

need all
>drivers to exercise circumspection- you are responsible not only

your own
>vehicle, but for those vehicles around you as well!(NJ traffic

law requires
>this responsibility)

But, driving a regular, average sedan *is* different from driving
a big truck or SUV-a vehicle which is so much bigger, and heavier
and with a different center of gravity. 'Drivers' are barely
trained to drive a *car*, let alone a truck. Most people
(emphasis-most) just don't realize how much more power that big
Siverado or whatever your choice is, has as compared to that
Saturn-and are woefully over their heads. Having driven a couple
of different trucks (one BIG and the other not so much so) this
summer, the driving skills are different. Being up high and able
to see (and intimidate smaller vehicles) doesn't equal
understanding of the machine and ability to control it in all
situations. Even if one went to drivers school and learned on a
Chevy Cavalier, and were good in that training, it doesn't mean
that person can drive a truck or SUV without extra training. The
only way people are going to get that extra training is if there's
a different license for those vehicles specifically. (Just as
there is for motocycles.)

I still think Motorcycles=motorcycle license; car=car license;
trucks and SUVs= Truck/SUV license.

I'd bet anything that if this were the law, we'd see a drop in
truck/SUV involved accidents in a pretty short time.

I don't even want to get into the issue of more police-where we'll
get them from, how we'll have funding for them, etc. etc. etc...

>Scott(waiting to see how he looks in his small red Herald-

soon...)

Red? Thought it was going to be blue?

Can't wait to see how you look in it too-cause it would mean it's
done! (As done as a British car can be! ;-)

Laura