Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:06:43 -0600
>The Spitfire 1500 was advertised as the first sports car to

achieve 50
>mpg and 100 mph (although not simultaneously!).   At 80 mph, as I

say, I
>have had 40 mpg.   Had I ever done a long journey at a more

sensible
>speed, say 55 mph, I would expect to have got the magic 50 mpg

figure.

None of the Spits I've had has ever gotten close to 50mpg! 35mpg
on the highway was more like it with the first two, though
stop/start and city driving was considerably worse.

Nigel, doesn't get good mileage when it's start/stop freeway
driving, but for toodling around town, he's excellent! I think he
gets better mileage running errands than he does on the freeway!

>Stop/start driving in rush-hour is no good for fuel-efficiency,

which is
>why I only manage to get about 32 mpg.   I would imagine that you

would
>achieve the best mileage figures by driving at a constant 35 mph

or so
>in top gear (if you weren't run off the road by the irate

SUV-driver who
>was stuck behind you...)

Or runover! There are some jacked up monster trucks (never a speck
of dirt anywhere on these-and I'm low enough to be able to
see!)-with bumpers higher than my windscreen!

I think these guys must be overcompensating for something...

Later,

Laura