RE: two-stage braking

To: "'Spitfire 1500'" <s1500@uswest.net>,
Subject: RE: two-stage braking
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 08:13:41 +0100

This is (usually) one of 2 things. If the back brakes are poorly adjusted,
ie., lots of play, then the first push of the pedal takes up the slack in
the brake shoes, then the second depression of the pedal happens before the
return springs have pulled the pistons back into the bores, giving greater
force to the braking operation hence a firmer pedal. To be honest, this
first cause is usually a greater problem with drum front brakes, so less
likely on a Spitfire. The other possible cause is air in the braking system
- the first pump of the pedal compresses the trapped air, the second pump
gives full force to the brakes. Simply a matter of bleeding the brakes with
new fluid 9sometimes not as easy as it sounds!),
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: