Re: I think I broke it!

To: "Mike Perry" <mikep@michindust.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I think I broke it!
From: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:45:42 -0600
I had the head gasket let go last fall on a freshly rebuilt 72 engine. I had
the head surfaced at the rebuild and resurfaced after the gasket let go.  At
the rebuild I used a generic head gasket, after the second time I bought a
higher quality OEM head gasket from Spitbits and have had not problem since.
You have to ask for the better one, its not in their catalog (or atleast it
wasn't). I also used new head studs and nuts the second time around.  I did
not have any boiling over or sludge in the engine, but I got a large cloud
of steam out of the tailpipe after the car warmed up and it ran like crap.
MikeC