Re: ding in front right wing and scuffed paint

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ding in front right wing and scuffed paint
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 08:23:48 +0100
In article <002801c138a6$24496180$95bc883e@k7d3g5>, James Carruthers
<jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk> writes
>I saw a car toady - part of my quest to find a Spit. It was really nice - no
>rust apart from a very small piece on the bottom of the drivers door -
>paintwork was original - but in a condition I would expect with my budget. One
>seat had a small tear in - and the left wing mirror was slighlty loose.

The passenger-side mirror is probably an after-market addition (although
I think some of the later cars may have had them fitted in the factory).
Sounds as though the person who fitted it didn't make a very good job of
it.   Should be pretty easy to fix.

>Overall it was a nice car. It just needed some tidying up.
>
>That was all fine - but there are 2 things - which are purely cosmetic that Im
>concerned with - one was a small "ding" in the front left wing - about 2 or 3
>inches across - not particularly deep - can this be "knocked out" or "sucked
>out" somehow?

If you are very lucky, you can hit it from the inside with a rubber
hammer, and it will just pop back.   If you aren't lucky, you'll end up
with a small panel-beating job, which will require the usual bodywork
repair skills to make good.   Not a major task.

>The other thing was on the front wheel arches - there was some scuffing -
>almost as if someone had got some sandpaper and rubbed down the edges - its
>about 1 or 2 inches in and about a 6 inch "radius" - strangley its on both
>wings - left and right. This left the paint work rough.
>

>Any comments anyone?

I'd bet that someone was running with oversize wheels/tyres at some
point.   Check whether the wheels and tyres on the car at the moment are
standard - if not, you might want to consider changing them back to
something closer to the original size.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"