RE: low compression

To: "'John Hobson'" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: low compression
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:02:00 -0400
John,

Haven't yet see anyone answer you. If compression is low, it
usually means one of two things. Either a valve is not closing
completely or the piston rings are no longer sealing correctly.

A quick test is to squirt a small amount of oil into the cylinder
and run the compression check again. If the compression increases,
then the rings are the likely culprit. If there is no change,
then the valves are the best place to start checking.

A quick check is to make sure that your valve lash is correct.

A better, more reliable method is to perform a leakdown check.

Regards,

Doug

--
Doug Mitchell