Re: Petrol smell continued

To: Rachel Dixon <rachel.dixon@tate.org.uk>,
Subject: Re: Petrol smell continued
From: Philip Willcocks <p_willcocks_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rachel,

Glad to hear you got your car sorted. The remaining
smell could eminate from many places, these cars do
not typically smell of petrol but can be a bit smelly
when running on choke.

Do you get the smell if you open the boot, if so it
could be the joints in the fuel lines in the boot
area.

Have a look at the pipes under the car, the petrol and
brake lines run together down the left side, run your
finger along and see if you get any fuel. If the car
has been under-sealed you may find a patch of it
missing if there is a leak.

Did they replace the flexible joints and clips? Bend
any flexible joints and see if there are any cracks
and double check the clips have been fastened.

Take another look around the carbs, it could be that
even though they did some maintenance that one of the
floats is still a bit sticky.

I've heard differing reports about Quiller, anything
you can tell me about them would be useful, they
supplied a friend of mine with the wrong brake hoses
last week (even after looking up the part numbers) and
charged excessively for the other parts he bought.
Another local member had a look at a 'restored' car
down there that he described to be in a vastly
different state. Good web site though.

Finally - we have another City of London meet coming
up on Monday 15th October on the Tattershall Castle,
look forward to seeing you!

Philip