Re: GT6 Thrust washer question?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 Thrust washer question?
From: "MICHAEL C ROSS" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:11:45 -0400
Well,  I've pulled the oil pan and found some metal filings
in the bottom, but not allot.  The thrust washers had fallen
out, but were whole.  Curiously, one was nearly 1/2 thinner
than the other.  Both were scored and they were not mirror
images, i.e.. one looked like the radius was larger, as
though it had been pulled apart slightly.

I'm thinking that maybe when the engine was rebuilt, the
crank was polished and either the original old worn thrust
washers were reused or new ones used that fit too loosely
now that the tolerances had changed after polishing the
crank (I'm just thinking out loud since I've never opened an
engine up before tonight).  I am encouraged that they
weren't in a dozen pieces in the bottom of the oil pan.

I was considering just installing new thrust washers, but
decided to take it to the shop Tuesday to have them remove
the crank and thoroughly inspect everything.  I'll ask them
to check the possibility of using thicker thrust washers and
even putting an opposing pair on the bottom.

As for the pulley: The woodruff key on the front pulley
assembly was in place.  Could the balancer part of the
pulley assembly with the timing marks be rotating.  Isn't it
welded to the pulley? I couldn't get it to move with hand
pressure.  I thought I'd buy a strap wrench and really put
some rotational force to it.  I have no other explanation
for why the timing marks kept changing.

Mike          http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross

63 Mk1 Spitfire
66 Mk2 Spitfire
68 Mk3 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
69 GT6+          (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
70 GT6+