Re: Overdrive

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>, John & Judy Tones <jtones@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:05:30 -0600
I concur with Nolan - the adapter plate and the end piece of an
overdrive unit are very different from one type of car to the next,
so you likely can't just take an overdrive off a Volvo and slap it on
to a Triumph (unfortunately!).  Mounting points, speedo drives, and
output flanges will vary.

That being said - I believe just about any model and year of the
Volvo 240 series with manual overdrive transmission uses the J-type
overdrive.  My 1976 245 did for sure.  For a quick indication of the
presence of overdrive, look for a little switch in the top of the
gearshift lever.

If you already have an overdrive that needs parts, the Volvo 240s are
a great source if you can talk the wrecking yard into a good price.
For example, I needed a better cone clutch and a replacement roller
clutch for my '77 Spitfire's overdrive, and paid only about $75 for a
whole Volvo transmission that yielded perfectly nice cone and roller
clutches.

If you do go this route, beware of the wrecking yard trying to
separate the overdrive from the transmission for you - more than
likely, they don't know how, and will resort to prybars, BFHs, and
maybe even a press!  All of these are bad - any good manual will list
the fairly simple procedure for separating the unit.

HTH,
Dan

At 17:53 -0500 11/30/01, Nolan Penney wrote:
>The overdrive itself was fitted to many different cars.  From Volvo
>to AMC, MG to
>Healey.  The laycock unit is identical, in that J type is a J type,
>a P type is a
>P type, etc.  But, the adapter plate to join the overdrive to the main
>transmission is different.  So, if you're thinking you can yank an
>overdrive off
>a junkyard Volvo and slap it onto the back of a Spitfire speed, you
>cannot.  But
>if you're already got an overdrive gearbox, and are just looking to
>replace the
>overdrive itself, that you could do, with just a visual inspection
>to ensure that
>indeed you are looking at a J type (for the later Spit), or a D type (for the
>earlier Spit).
>
>John & Judy Tones wrote:
>
>>  I understand that one or more models of Volvo were produced with an
>>  overdrive unit which is the same as found in our cars. If correct, does
>>  anyone know what model of Volvo (years as well) that would have an O/D which
>>  would fit a '71 MK III GT-6 and also one for a '78 MK 1500 Spit ? There are
>>  lots of Volvos in the wreckers but very few Triumphs.

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Front suspension back together too, & steering box coming along nicely.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!