Re: Rotten *^&^&%&** car!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rotten *^&^&%&** car!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:45:22 +0000
In article <002801c17cf3$d0ec5190$dc0215ac@wl.opentext.com>, David A.
Templeton <davidt@opentext.com> writes
>Sorry to hear that Mike. That sounds a lot like me earlier this summer, the
>water pump in the wife's Mustang really started to whine.  Time to change
>it, fine new pump.  Test ran the car for about 25km and the temp gauge
>starts to go up, up, up.  Pull over and lift the hood, there is coolant
>coming out of the top tank of the rad. Limped home and had to get the rad
>rebuilt, new belts and thermostat.  Also, had to redetail the engine bay
>from all of the sprayed coolant :-(
>
>The lesson I learned, on a vintage car ( >20 years old ), when replacing a
>worn part(s) with new, prepare for the situation that lots of other parts
>wil not be able to stand up to the new stuff.

I think you're right.   Almost everything else in the car has been fixed
up over the past few months, so I guess that the gearbox was bound to go
sooner or later.   The only thing remaining unchanged shortly will be
the diff - how long before I need to replace that, I wonder? :-(

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"