Carb, cam questions & thrust washers

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Carb, cam questions & thrust washers
From: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:39:31 -0500
I am looking into various options for an engine rebuild. At the least I am
in need of a valve job, head gaskets and a different carb. I am considering
the feasibility of a major rebuild and updating in the process. So does
anyone know of a source for intake manifold that would fit the spit and fit
Mikuni carbs? Performance Research Industries has the carbs and a kit but
they sure are pricey over $1,000. I am looking for a less expensive source.
It seems like one should be able to get used ones off of a motorcycle like
the Kawasaki Concourse and then reject them. Are there other used or new
sources? Still I'd need an appropriate intake manifold.
What midrange cam kit would folks recommend and from what source?
Also, I have heard about the problem thrust washers pose. One fix advocated
by Ted Schuamcher in an article in the Spitfire and GT6 magazine is to pin
new washers in place using brass pins. I wonder if there are other fixes or
improvements that people are aware of and would suggest. For example are
there round thrust washers available that could be fitted? Are there
potential problems with the fix Ted suggests?