Battery discussion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery discussion
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:44:10 EST
Since the dead battery in Brad's son's1980 Citation came up at an opportune
time, I guess I'll toss this to the wolves:
For the past 6 months, Hobbs (77 Spit) has had 2 irritating but tolerable
problems:
    1) occasionally would quit for no reason, sort of like a vapor lock.
Usually occurred imm. after re-starting a warm engine and driving away with
too much enthusiasm.  Problem is easily remedied by removing the air cleaner
& squirting a little gas into the Weber.  Assume the culprit is a worn out
mechanical fuel pump.
    2) IGN light glowed intermittently.  Lately it's been most of the time.

Sooo... a couple of days ago I was driving away from a meeting with Curt
Schilling and Hobbs did his pseudo vapor-lock thing. This time, however, the
battery only turned the starter a couple of times before quitting completely.
 I was able to get started only with the assistance of jumper cables hooked
to another car; after driving 5 miles home I turned off the car and it
wouldn't even turn over once.
    Tomorrow I hope to mess with it.  I am planning on doing a GM alternator
conversion and replacing the Voltage Regulator (if it's external -- haven't
checked the manual yet) and battery along with a new fuel pump.  I bought the
car almost 3 years ago and have no idea the age of any of these parts.
Figure it can't hurt...
    Of course, I've been wrong before.  Any observations or suggestions?
Thanks!
    Scott (& Hobbs, temporarily on the disabled list)