Early Christmas in Cincinnati!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early Christmas in Cincinnati!
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:20:29 -0500
     This message is totally void of useful information - however, I must
gloat over my good fortune incident to visiting my son in Cincinnati this
past week-end.
     About a year ago, I bought by email a pair of Spit 1500 seats which my
son picked up for me and stashed in his basement awaiting my pick-up.  I
didn't get around to picking them up promptly, because the refurbishment of
my old seats was much more successful than I anticipated.  I finally visited
my son this past week-end, and viewed my seats.  What a pleasant surprise -
they're tan vinyl (not houndstooth), need only one seam re-stitched & a good
clean-up, and include all the hardware (except tracks).  John S., the
seller, kindly threw in an extra headrest & a beautiful tan boot-cover, plus
2 more seat-bottoms without covering, but with BEAUTIFUL foams.
     Sunday afternoon I went to check out an '80 Spit for sale in Newtown.
It was quite decent - repainted BRG (professionally done), no obvious rust,
nice interior, smooth-running, etc.  But, for whatever reason, it didn't
particularly turn me on (cars are like the opposite sex - some turn you on &
some don't, and you can't often explain why).  The seller, John R., a real
pleasant guy, has apparently shifted his interest now from Spits to a Jag
he's re-doing.  After looking over the '80 Spit, John's Jag, and various
other works-in-progress (a mid-80's Trans-Am, some sort of a
rail-car/dune-buggy/mud-runner, a couple of Farmall's, etc.), I homed in on
the '77 Spit parts-car outside the barn.  Pulling the tarp aside, the first
thing I noticed was YAHOO! a proper 1500 luggage-rack  - by proper I mean
the one with the oval bars front and back and the raised oval bar in the
back, six flat fore-and-aft slat-bars, overall about 18" X 36".  John was
happy to let me have that for next to nothing - plus anything else I wanted
from the parts car (he got it for the tranny, which he pulled & put in his
'80).
     Sure am glad I took the truck to Ohio rather than the car, because on
departure Monday I had more than 1/2 of the truck-bed filled with Spit
goodies, to wit:  2 tan vinyl seats, 2 uncovered seat-bottoms, 1 tan
headrest, 1 tan boot-cover from John S., plus 1 luggage-rack, 3
bumper-guards, 2 black knee-pads, 1 black transmission cover, 1 black
tonneau-cover, 1 tan top-boot, 1 black radio-console & plate, & 1 complete
soft-top frame from John R. -----   total, overall expenditure $110 (I do
believe in Santa).
     Being an ancient geezer approaching my 7th decade (I'm probably even
older than you, Fred), one would expect me to instantly collapse into the
sack last night after a 500-mile journey - but where was I in the wee hours?
Not in the sack, but down in the workshop cleaning up my "new" luggage-rack!
     This, BTW, is not a sneaky solicitation by me to peddle any of these
goodies. I'm sort of holding them in reserve aimed toward another Spit less
than a mile away that I'm trying to get.  The young man who owns says he's
going to fix it up because it's been in the family for a number of years &
has great sentimental value, etc.  But meanwhile it's been sitting outside,
untouched, un-tarped, for more than a year with the elements taking their
toll through disintegrated quarter-windows & back-window.  I hate to see
that thing just sitting there, rusting away.  But, that's another story.
     Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to me!

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O