Ammeter Wiring

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeter Wiring
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:54:57 -0500
     I've added a voltmeter & electrical oil pressure gauge to my Spit.
Now, while re-doing the dash, I want to add an ammeter also (can't ever have
too many gauges), but am not sure of the best place to wire it in (I'm an
electrical semi-idiot).
     The Actron gauge people have a neat site -
www.actron.com/gaugeman.pdf - which tells me, I think, the ammeter should go
between the solenoid & the alternator, or between the solenoid & ignition
switch.  The Spitfire wiring diagram shows two brown wires coming off the
solenoid - one going directly to the center contact on the alternator, the
other to a junction where it goes in 4 directions; from this junction, one
wire goes to the inner contact on the alternator & another goes to the
ignition switch (the other two go to the light switch plus somewhere else).
     Am I on the right track in thinking the ammeter should be wired into
one of these brown circuits coming off the solenoid?  And, if so, which
brown wire is recommended?
     BTW, my machine has a standard OEM solenoid & OEM Lucas alternator.
     Thanks in advance for any recommendations from those more
electrically-savvy than me (which is probably the majority of SpitListers).

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O