More round tail changes

To: Spitfire Internet Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: More round tail changes
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:19:52 -0700
Since we are on the subject of changes during production of round tail Spits, I
recently have been doing some wood veneer applications for the early
Spits with the center gauge cluster.

I noticed that some of the metal dash inserts have the turn signal indicator
lamp centered about an inch from the top edge between the tach and
speedometer, while most of the others have it much lower (about 1-3/8")

I suspect that the early ones had it up high and at a certain point in the Mk1
production it was lowered, and continued at that point through the end
of the production of that style dash.  It probably coincided with the change in
the dash pad from straight across to the extended lip to shade the
instruments.

What I'd like is empirical evidence that my theory is correct or (as usual) all
wet!

Regards,
Joe Curry