beta spitty game

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: beta spitty game
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:47:52 +0000
In article <003701c183fd$60146b40$a50386d9@g6a2g8>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes
>Well my car is 5 years older than me. I think I'll take a pact now that I'll
>never buy a car younger than me..... by coincidence it was restored 5 years
>ago too.
>
>For all of you who wondered what I want to do with the views of the spitfire:
>
>http://www.jcsoftware.freeserve.co.uk/test1.swf
>
>its a rather large 210Kb at the moment. as you can see I wrote the code this
>afternoon, but had to use a porsche :( it'll be easy to put in a spit when I
>get some nice pictures of them.

Sorry, James, but I just can't get this to load.   I'm using IE6 and am
connected at 48,000bps.

>the sound is authentic however, recorded this afternoon with a dodgy
>microphone - and unedited for that authentic 2nd try at starting the engine
>that my car always needs.
>
>controls - use the arrow keys. they still need refinement to make it a bit
>more life like. i may even add in a "real" option - whereby the car slowly
>rusts - brakes fail - parts fall off - indicators go mad - and generally go
>wrong. maybe you could drive around picking up spare parts - only to find
>something else breaks when you fit it.

Wonderful!   Don't forget the other little problem with Spits - when you
have to change Part A, you need to remove Parts B and C to get at it -
both of which also turn out to need replacing, although you had not
previously realised this.   This requires you to put another car on the
road to enable you to go back to the place where you bought Part A, and
pick up Parts B and C (probably in two separate trips, as you don't
realise that you need Part C until you have bought and fitted Part B).
The latest example on Carly was:

Part A - Gearbox
Part B - Transmission Tunnel Cover (old one was falling to bits)
Part C - Speedo cable (old one was too short to reach the gearbox after
the new transmission tunnel was fitted, and the cable was routed
correctly)

In this case there was the added bonus of having to manufacture the
finished transmission tunnel cover from an unmachined fibreglass
moulding.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"