Re: Head replacement for 1296 Spitfire engine

To: JohnZissler@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head replacement for 1296 Spitfire engine
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:25:08 -0700
Now that I sent that reply, I must say that I now realize (from the subject
line... I gotta start reading those) that my assumption is wrong.  Since
it is obvious that you are working on a 1296, you have the following options.

1. Rebuild the 1500 and shave it down to achieve the desired compression ratio
(if it has not already been done).

2. Rebuild the 1296 one and use it as is.

Note:  The first option will provide the best performance since it has larger
valves.  Compare the depth of the combustion chambers on the two heads
to see if the 1500 one has been shaved down.   It is easy to see the difference
if both are stock.

Cheers,
Joe