Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] car nearing drive time

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] car nearing drive time
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:40:49 -0500
Somewhere, a few years ago, I read something along those lines.  I have no
recollection of who wrote it, or where I read it.  The gist of it, as I recall,
was that the 1500 suffered from lots of weight at the rod ends and crank throws,
as well as being poorly dynamically balanced.  He also attributed thrust washer
fall out to crankshaft flexing, which he said was caused by this excessive and
poorly balanced mass.

The author trimmed quite a bit of weight, and was well pleased.  And there ends
my recollections.  I don't remember if he turned down the crank as you
described.  It's one of those articles that I wish I'd saved instead of thinking
I'd remember it.

PS, I don't know what I was remembering as being a sleeve line, but in looking
at a block tonight, I certainly don't see one now.  Don't know what I was
remembering seeing.  Odd that it's listed in the factory parts book as a
standard part, not a replacement or repair part.  Normally those are
differentiated in the listing.