Crankcase Breather

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, chrislsharp@earthlink.net
Subject: Crankcase Breather
From: Jean-Marc Dion <dion.longpre@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:31:33 -0500
Chris

I've got a MK 2 engine block (serial FC50001 and up) and there is no
vent pipe on the side. There is a plug into the engine block. The
breathing is made through the pipe that goes from the rocker cover to
the air cleaner and there is no mesh screen with the oil filler cap.
You'll find all the info in the book "Triumph Spitfire ans GT6, A guide
to originality" from John Thomason.

Jean-Marc Dion
Spitfire MK2,  1967

Hey Spitlisters-

Hope all y'all are having an enjoyable holiday season.

Got a question for you.  I have a '64 with a Mk II block in it.  It
still
has the up-side-down, j-shaped tube in the side of the block.  I always
figured that was in place to allow the block to breath.  However, I seem
have quite a bit of oil coming out of the tube as well.  It seems to
have
significant pressure, so plugging it is probably not a good idea.  Then
again, my oil filler cap has that mesh screen so it should relieve the
backpressure, right?  Anyway, some of the oil burns off on the exhaust
pipe
right below it but much of it seems to be coating the underside of my
car.
I know that I'm probably reaching for the sky but I'd like to find
someway
to minimize the oil leak.  Several thoughts I've come up with are:
1. Plug it and forget about it.
2. Route a hose from the block to the back of my air filter and perhaps
even
use a PCV valve in line.
3. Same hose trick only vented to the atmosphere.
4. Just live with it.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this?  Solutions you may have tried?

TIA, MC, & HNY!

Chris & Stella with a now corrosion inhibited floor pan