Adjusting Lucas Voltage Regulator

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Adjusting Lucas Voltage Regulator
From: Ar164super@wmconnect.com
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:18:03 EST
Merry Christmas to all!

One of my gifts to myself was a new Lucas voltage regulator to replace the
old one, which, although functionally good, had a broken cover and probably
was on its way out. With the new regulator in, I'm only getting about 11.8 to
12.1 volts, regardless of engine rpm. I understand that the far left bobbin (
the one closest to the battery when viewed from the front of the car...oh, on
an LHD car) is the voltage regulator and can be adjusted in 1/4 turn
increments to raise voltage. Meanwhile, there are current regulator and
cut-off bobbins as well. Is it necessary to make adjustments to these
whenever you make an adjustment to the voltage regulator? Or can I just mess
with the voltage regulator alone? As far as I can tell, the cut-off bobbin is
adjusted properly, as I get no discharge at an idle -- just 12.1 volts across
the board.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Adam
'70 Mk3