Re: Rimmer Bros.

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: Rimmer Bros.
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:42:03 -0700
Frank, Vic, I eventually got my system on ( I have had it for almost a
year and a half in the box). I kept your email at the time. I think Vic
and I emailed back and forward when we got them, but never got around to
fitting for a long time.

I had no problems getting the header in place. No need to do anything
but twist it down and in. Had a tight call getting the old pipe out as
it had the box thingy for the warm air pipe to the airbox.
Since I had a UK spec twin SU input manifold to put on, that fitted
right on as well with the new header, like they were meant to be.
Probably same with the old single ZS manifold. Forgot to try.

Also no problems with the almost hidden bolts between the two old
manifolds. Good soaking in WD40 the night before. Slipped in the open
ended spanner (wrench in US) in the gap between the manifolds and they
loosened up first turn. Then they spun right off just with the fingers
twisted around the input manifold. Almost too easy.

I did have a small problem that the overall system was too long and had
to take a couple of inches of the last bent pipe and fabricate a couple
of new brackets as the later one off the diff was too short and at the
back the final fitting was no where near the hanger points.

But I am very pleased with the overall result and quality of the system.
Can't wait to get the carbs on and see what she sounds like.

I did get new engine mounts as they needed replacing and from Vic's
email I thought I might as well if I had them loosened. So that ended up
a separate job. One on and one to go. Need to remove the air pump to get
at the one on the other side though if you have one.

Alan