Wire 101

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>,
Subject: Wire 101
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:13:48 -0600
Lets try again

Someone from the UK was asking about a Wiring Harness for out LBC's

Other than the usual vendors for entire harness I offer the wire to make
your own.
The main problem I have is the striped stuff.
Basic colors are no problem, stripes I need to run 1,000 foot of each base
plus the stripe.
That causes problems for me to get it run and give the stuff away.
For those that are interested,
Our little LBC's are full of a wire know as GPT, the cheapest wire available
up to 1980.
Available today are wires that have compounds covering the basic stranding
called Crosslinked. These compounds have been available since the
manufacture of our LBC's but not used due to cost.
The basic crosslinked items are;
SXL
GXL
TXL
All are rated by SAE as 125c
The only difference is Wall thickness, as the automotive industry has moved
to more and more electronic add ON's to cars they have looked at ALL areas
to reduce the weight of the total package. A Joe Curry Spitfire wiring
harness verses a 2001 Ford Explorer harness is much different.
The original GPT material in our cars is rated by SAE as -40c to 80c .
ALL Crosslinked Polyethylene is rated at -40c to 125c
The kicker is wall thickness.
The first crosslinked material was SXL, then GXL, then TXL and now Ford has
one even thinner.
A big old US made GM Caddy SUV has one major harness going to the main fuse
box.
GM,FORD,HONDA all are looking for a light weight auto that's the size of a
Kenworth 18 wheeler !
They need to cut weight everywhere they can.
Wire is one of the spots they choose.

For general knowledge.
16 awg wire
Type            Wall thickness  Temp            SAE             Ford
Chrysler
GPT             .023                    80c             J-1128  M1L-56A
MS-3450
SXL             .032                    125c            J-1128  M1L-85A
MS-5919
GXL             .023                    125c            J-1128  M1L-85B
MS-8900
TXL             .016                    125c            J-1128  M1L-130A
MS-8288

You wonder.....
I hope..
Why isn't GM in here ?
GM owns everything, just kidding...
They have a company called Delphi, it used to be called Packard Electric.
They make their own wire to their own spec. so screw us.
On the MAX side.
I sell to most of the major race car manufactures, Penske, Hendrick, Davis
and others direct. There are others that cater to the "special purpose"
groups and they specialize in harnesses for a select industry.
NASCAR, CART, IRL, FL1 use Teflon.
Teflon and variants of Teflon are high temperature extreme environment use
products.
Usually rated at 200c 1000 volt.
A 16 awg, 19 strand Silver coated conductor wire used by most of the NASCAR
boys is
.089 wall
A US military aircraft airframe equivalent would be 22759/9-16.
Same wire !
Costs ?
GPT16   .020 per foot
SXL16 .026 per foot
GXL16 .023 per foot
TXL16 .021 per foot
TEFLON .141 per foot

I have over 15 million bucks worth of wire in stock, I'm trying to sell
anything, but you can bet your arse I'll trade for it !!!!!