Re: camber compensator & '73 Spitfire

To: Anne Garren <algarren@main.nc.us>
Subject: Re: camber compensator & '73 Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:39:08 -0700
Anne Garren wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd go to the archives because I know this has been covered before, but they
> aren't available (anyone know what's up with them?) -- can someone please
> refresh my memory about camber compensators and why they are needed and how I
> would go about doing that and anything else I need to know? It's been so warm
> here I've got to get the Spit ready for the road!
>
> Thanks - you folks are great!
> Anne

Anne,
Of course they are available.  Although I would have to ask, "Why would you
need one on a MkIV?"

What is your problem that you would think about a camber compensator?  If you
are suffering from the typical sagging of the driver side of your car,
you probably just have a weak spring in the rear and that is easily (albeit
somewhat expensively) resolved by changing springs.  The camber
compensators are typically used by early swing-axle cars to prevent the normal
"wheel tuck" experienced in high speed sharp turns.  It can lead to
massive oversteer as the tucked wheel suddenly becomes loaded when the turn is
reversed.  The result is the car spins out of control.

With the introduction of the MkIV, Triumph changed to a "Swing-Spring"
arrangement to counteract that problem and it did that at the expense of
additional body roll.

For people who wish to reduce body roll, the thing to do is revert back to the
fixed spring found in early cars and get the camber compensator to take
care of wheel tuck.

That's about it, except that the CC sells for $150 plus $15 shipping anywhere
in the contiguous 48 States.

Regards,
Joe Curry