Re: Losing our tempers... Bodywork-wise

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Losing our tempers... Bodywork-wise
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:34:26 -0500
Tom Writes:

>All this discussion of the effect of heat on metal brings to mind a question
>I've wondered about often.
>
>While it's often stated that the only way to stop rust is to cut out the
>affected portion of the car and weld in a replacement section, it seems to me
>that I've heard that the welding process would destroy the temper of the
>surrounding metal, making it more likely to rust sooner.

Tom...

Spitfire bodies were made of mild steel so they were neither hardened
nor tempered.  There might be some "work hardening" near bends and
creases as function of the stamping process, but it's minimal.

I'm not aware of any connection between welding and accelerated rust
except what Livia has pointed out  about flange welds and such where
moisture can be trapped. I much prefer butt welds but it takes more
time to do it nicely.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley