Re: Rear-end rubbing advice please!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear-end rubbing advice please!
From: "Dean Dashwood" <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:31:22 -0000
Well, the good news is that the free play appears to be in the diff, not in
the UJs, so no need to worry about that.

This afternoon I set about greasing the rear bearings.  (My manual also
confirmed that it's grease - gear-oil for the front trunnions, but grease
everywhere else.)  It definitely seemed that it needed doing - I got much
less out than I put in, and what I did get out was practically solid.  But
even after greasing both sides, my rubbing noise still hasn't gone away.  So
I think I'm going to have to take the car into the mechanic tomorrow.

I'll let the list know what happens, because I like to think that at least
one or two people out there, other than me, actually care!

Thanks anyway,

Dean