Re: Rear brake drums

To: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear brake drums
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:37:12 -0500
Terry -

Not to be insulting, but - have you removed the two brake drum
retaining screws that hold each drum onto the hub?  (Sometimes we
miss these things!)

Also - sounds like you've done this already, but have you completely
backed out the brake adjusters?

One possibility, even when you've backed out the brake adjuster, is
that the shoes are stuck in position in the adjusting unit, thus
preventing the shoes from moving back far enough to let the drum
slide off.  To cure this ... hmmm ... you might try applying a lot of
pressure on the brake pedal, assuming you still have hydraulic
pressure to the rear wheel cylinders.  The force from the piston
might cause the other end of the shoe to pop in.

I know this goes against every instinct, but be wary of hammering on
the drum directly with a metal hammer, as you might fracture the drum
... it could break up at speed (or any other time), which could be
most unpleasant.  A rubber mallet, or a metal hammer and
strategically placed scrap wood, would be much better.

HTH!

Dan

At 7:52 -0700 04/27/02, Terry Thompson wrote:
>I managed to strip a bleeder screw on one of my
>Spitfire's rear cylinders last weekend. this weekend
>I've taken to trying to rebuild the rear brakes (I've
>had the shoes, springs etc. for over a year, so I
>figure this is an opportune time.)
>Now, I've spent the better part of the morning,
>hammering, prying, saturating with pb blaster, and
>torching the rear drums and I cannot figure out how to
>get the G'damned drums off of this car.
>I've changed drums on a barretta and a ford, and they
>practically fall-off once you relieve the brake
>pressure.  It appears as though I need to drop the
>half-axle and rear suspension, drag it to a machine
>shop and have them press the drum off. What the F' am
>I missing?
>
>-Terry
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Brakes partly complete, TR4 transmission back together.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!