tight brake caliper (was Re: veering to the left...)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: tight brake caliper (was Re: veering to the left...)
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:06:28 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Spitsters.

Thanks to suggestions from Carter Shore and Doug Braun, I did some
poking about in the area of my '69 Spit's front brakes.

The dust shields are missing on both front assemblies.  On the right,
this led to the caliper being too close (on the inner surface of the
rotor) and binding.  So, upon recommendation, I put thin flat washers
between the caliper and the mounting boss.  Now the wheel turns freely
and the caliper is solidly mounted.  (Seems so simple in retrospect,
no?)  This should keep things functional until I get the dust shields.

Unfortunately, this brings up the subject of the left front brake.  It
was fine without the shield in place.  This makes me wonder if ther
there is something wrong with it, because the rotor appears to be
centered in the caliper now and adding thin washers would make it bind
on the outer surface of the rotor.

More thoughts?  Again, I'm afraid it was shunted sometime in its past
and I'm looking at a big-bucks repair or a big-bang collapse when I
finally get it on the road.

I will be checking the bearings for the correct size and assembly when
weather becomes less inclement, or when I get the urge.

TIA, again.
Donald.