Re: Fuel Economy

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Economy
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 03:16:30 GMT
David Templeton writes:

> Evening all,
>
> About a week ago I checked the timing on the spitfire and made some
> adjustments. I also run her on premium fuel, 92octane or better.
>
> Well, I noticed that I was getting really good mileage. On a single tank,
> 32l (8.7us gal) I have been getting 300+km(180miles) per tank or 9.3km/l
> (20miles/gal). Does this sound right for a 2litre gt6 engine?  I do have
> overdrive and I do drive the spit in a "spirited" manner.

Hmmm. There are so many variables here that it's hard to make any
assumptions. Is this just around town, or all highway miles, mixture of
both, etc.?

If it's largely highway miles, in overdrive, I would actually expect better
mileage. I typically get about 22-23 mpg on the highway at 60-65 mph, and
my GT6 has a TR6 engine in it, along with a 3.89:1 rear, without overdrive,
so it's turning a good 20% faster than it should.

I would think, cruising with overdrive engaged, the mileage for a 2-liter
engine in good state of tune should be in the 28-30 mpg range at a steady
60 mph. But, YMMV. <smile>

Cheers.