RE: steering knuckle joint

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: steering knuckle joint
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:05:41 -0400
John,

I ran into the same problem with my new steering coupling joint two weeks
ago!  I could see that the holes for the bolts were slightly off (thus
"incorrectly manufactured") and was considering drilling or filing it to
make it fit.  Nearly gave up for the evening when I decided to flip it
around (meaning top over bottom) and it worked!!  Worth a try if you haven't
already.... In my case, only one hole was slightly misaligned.

As for your idea to take apart the coupling, I considered that option
briefly until I saw that each of the screws was heavily pinched at the end
to prevent it from coming apart.

Good luck!

Ward
'76 Spitfire