Re: Weber carbs

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Weber carbs
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:56:04 +0100
Nolan Penney wrote:

> I'd venture to guess that most Webers on most street cars are set up
> wrong.  In fact, I'm pretty comfortable saying that most alternative
> carburetors people purchase and mount are set up wrong, as well as often
> being just plain too big.  Be it Webers or a Holley.  Lots of V8
> motorheads love the Holley 750 double pumpers [without knowing what that
> actually means and what models there are], even though it's actually a
> very poor carburetor for street use.

I agree entirely, the whole point of a weber is that it is hugely adjustable
(more than ANY other carb).
The only way to set one up properly is to pay someone with a dyno and a
knowledge of webers to do it.
I had a guy who works on AutoX to do mine. I stayed and watched, and it was a
real education.
He took the stock setup from triumph tune and spent 5 hours tweaking (including
2 hours working on the timing and linkages BEFORE changing one jet)
Then he looked at more than 20 combinations of jets before he settled on the
best set.
runs smooth as velvet now, and should be pretty efficient (but not more
efficient than a well adjusted SU)
Cheers
Tim

--