Clutch change - with humour

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch change - with humour
From: "Fred Griffiths" <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:00:01 -0600
Everyone should change their clutch periodically, even if just for the
following reasons:
1.  Allows you to remove the crumbled seat foam from the carpet under the
seats
2. Allows you to check the tension of your dash mounting screws
3. Allows you to remove lint, gum wrappers, etc from the top of the tranny
tunnel carpet

Seriously, I had a clutch fail in the middle of our freeway (Deerfoot Trail)
at 4 pm on Wed, when the temp was 31 deg C.  (That's hot, even when measured
in deg F.)

It gave me little warning, except a bit of judder a couple of times on
releasing the clutch.  I suspected oil or dirt on the plate.

Then it failed while driving straight in 3rd gear.   Simply no power to the
wheels.  Clutch pedal behaves normally.  I suspect the centre has torn out of
the clutch plate.  Sound possible?  I have another plate where the little
plates with the fibre pads had fatiqued and cracked off, so maybe...

Anyway all the interior is out, and today the tranny comes out.

Cheers, Fred