Clutch Problem?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Problem?
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,

 I could use some advice, suggestions, encouragement, and whatever else you
got.  I am a bit down as my usually very reliable Spit is causing me grief.
Here's the story...

I'm driving it in to work one morning, and shifting becomes troublesome.  With
the clutch to the floor, some shifts still grind the gears a bit.  I return
home as gently as possible.  I find that the clutch master cylinder reservoir
is dry.  I add fluid, bleed the system, and things return to normal... for
awhile.  Reservoir level drops pretty quickly.  I can see that the master
cylinder doesn't have a leak, but the slave cylinder looks suspicious.  I
bought a rebuild kit for it and replaced the rubber bits.  Re-installed it and
bled the system again.  The car drove great for about a day.

Next day, more trouble shifing gears, particularly from 3rd to 4th.  In 3rd
gear, sometimes the shift lever likes to move towards 4th as I slow down using
the engine, and more towards the front of the car when accelerating.  I think
that's how it goes - the point is that the lever moves around in 3rd.  I have
never noticed this before.

Today, I bled the system like crazy and double-checked that the slave cylinder
mates with the clutch pushrod properly.  I haven't lost any fluid since the
rebuild - the reservoir level is constant.

So, any ideas what is causing my symptoms?  Is it possibly a tranny problem?
The Haynes manual says something about adjusting the clutch pedal as a fix for
"excessive difficulty in engaging gear" - I don't see anywhere to adjust the
pedal.  Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Brian Hill

'76 Pimento Spitfire 1500