Herald / Spitfire Transmission. (newbie)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Herald / Spitfire Transmission. (newbie)
From: "Eduard Tieseler" <etiesele@metrolist.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:38:44 -0700
Hello all,

        I have a question about the differences in transmissions on the Herald
and
Spitfire.  I have a '66 Herald with a '69 Spitfire engine going in it.  The
transmission is the original '66.  Before I put the engine in, I need to
replace the clutch.  I ordered a clutch kit for a '69 Spitfire and here is
where my problem starts.

The only difference that I can see between the two is the pressure plate.
The 69 is diaphragm style while the 66 is the spring style, and the bolt
pattern is different.  The friction disk splines right to the output shaft
on the tranny, and I have a new throw out bearing.  The diameter of all the
parts looks the same as well.  I am planning on buying a flywheel for a 69
spitfire because it should bolt right up to the engine and the pressure
plate.  Either that or have a machinist drill out and tap new hole and then
get the thing balanced.

Does anyone know if the two flywheels are the same diameter and thickness?
I could measure mine and post that if anyone needs that info.  My only
concern is that the Spitfire flywheel may be too large for the Herald
Tranny.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Could some one give me some reassurance that the two transmissions are the
same?

Thanks,

Eduard Tieseler
1966 Herald