Re: questions for the list

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: questions for the list
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:49:02 +0100
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, at around 14:01:20 local time, George P.
<ygpz4re@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Had my Spit ('78) out the other day and it seemed to run very hot, so I've
>been toying with the idea of a brand new radiator.  Can anyone recommend
>something that might provide better/more efficient cooling than that stock
>radiator??  Preferrably a direct bolt-in replacement....  I'm not real keen
>on fabricating, I want to be able to swap it right in and drive away.

I believe the wider rad fitted to early Heralds is a drop-in replacement
(and an improvement), but I can't swear to this.   My Spit actually runs
cool now I've fixed the thing!

>I also have to replace the speedo cable, which I believe involves removing
>the transmission tunnel.

No need to remove the transmission tunnel to do this.

>  If this is true, I was thinking about replacing
>the tunnel with a fiberglass tunnel.

If your cardboard tunnel is in good nick, I would strongly recommend
hanging onto it.   Fibreglass tunnels don't fit perfectly, and aren't
drilled (not even for the gear lever).   They are a genuine PITA.

>How tough is this job?

Removing the interior is a pain, but not excessively so.   Trying to get
a fibreglass transmission tunnel to fit is an absolute b*tch.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671