Re: tappets

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tappets
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:03:29 -0400
I don't argue that most manuals give cold valve lash settings.  In fact,
virtually all engines give this, for the reasons I outlined.  It's a lot
harder to do it hot.  But, if you've got the specs for hot lash, and can
do it, you'll get a better result.

It's kinda like tire pressure.  OEM manuals and such all describe
checking and setting tire pressure cold, and by and large, that's just
fine.  But if you race, or own a semi, you check tire pressure hot
also.

>>> "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com> 08/22/02 07:24AM >>>
Nolan, the above is contrary to the factory manuals and to the specs
for
most aftermarket cams. The cold value is determined from the best hot
running performance by the factory.