RE: Chris de Wet inquiries

To: "'Livia Haasper'" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: Chris de Wet inquiries
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:48:27 +0200
Hi Liv , don't blame me :-) Will send some photos as soon as time permits .

Thank you very much for the advice and encouragement . Highly appreciated .

My passion / addiction lies with Triumphs as well . You ought to know that
by now :-) . Nope , I definitely won't sell or trade my '56 TR 3 or '64
Spitfire , but I do have a few other Triumph projects ( 2 x Spitfires and a
'62 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe ) that I'm going to sell in order to raise
funds to fully restore , and keep the Spitty and TR running . I've grown
very fond of the GT 6 , but I most probably won't say no if someone wants to
trade / swap for a TR 4 A or TR 5 . Fat chance for that ever happening in
South Africa , so that problem seems to be solved as well .

Unfortunately the SX seller apparently has already sold the SX ( a few times
in the past and now as well ) but the deal does not seem to be finalised and
he expressed an interest in trading / swapping the SX for my '33 Chev , if
the current buyer pulls out or does not pay . Have given it some thought and
if the seller is willing to at least arrange and pay for the shipping costs
, taxes etc. on both cars , we will have a done deal :-) It's up to him ,
but I'm becoming a bit annoyed at the slow progress and apparent lack of
commitment . Will let you know how it turns out .

For what it's worth I've located a body ( very similar to the Southern Cross
, but not a Triumph ) near to me which I can copy ( in Aluminium over wood
as original ) . The elderly gentleman told me I could borrow the un-restored
body for a few weeks to use as a pattern / template should I indeed succeed
in acquiring the Triumph Southern Cross chassis . I've renewed faith in the
kindness of strangers !

I'm still learning about pre-war Triumphs ( very confusing indeed ) , but it
seems that both a Brooklands style steering wheel ( with 4 sets of 1/8"
wires extending radially from the center ) and a flat 4 metal spoke style
wheel , was originally used on the Southern Cross models .

As far as I know instruments are Jeager for the main ones ( 5" speedometer
and 5" tachometer / rev counter ) and Smiths for the 2 smaller ones ( 3"
dual gauge for oil pressure / amperage and 3" dual gauge for temperature /
fuel ).

Southern Cross models also seem to have used a 12 volt electrical system and
Luvax shock absorbers which could be adjusted from a knob between the seats
. Two small dash mounted gauges indicated the front and rear pressure . I
don't know who made them or what diameter they are supposed to be .
Might be common to other British cars of the era ? If you hear of anything
please let me know .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .

1933 Chevrolet 3 window Coupe
1956 Triumph TR 3 .
1962 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe
1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mk 1 .