Welding

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:15:08 -0500
  Since my body off restore question was answered with a resounding ( two
months no way ) I will just repair the cracks and holes, apply my rust
neutralizer, spray some touch up paint and use the rest of my time working
on the running gear. This brings me to my welding question. I have a CH mig
welder with two rocker arms resulting in four settings, Lo 1 Lo2 Hi 1 Hi 2.
I used up a roll of flux core wire experimenting with poor results. Now I
have gas ( 25% argon 75% co2 ) but still cannot get consistant results on my
sheet metal welding. I am using .030 wire and the results on thicker
material is excellant, but body panels either burn thru or build up bumps.
Sometimes I get a good pass for about a quarter inch. I have a roll of .025
wire, but I haven't used it yet. I don't want to weld on my floor pan till I
can get consistant results with my welding. What works best on sheet metal,
a fast pass with hi setting or slow pass with low setting?
 Larry