tachometer wobble and great day out.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: tachometer wobble and great day out.
From: <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:28:13 -0700
As promised a wekk ago I said I would let the list know when I pull my
tachometer to fix a nasty wobble of the needle at about 3000 rpm when it was
hot.

So I pulled out the (electronic) tachometer at the weekend. Follow the manual
instructions to remove the tach. It's very easy. Then when you have it on the
bench  it comes apart real easy. Front bezel rotates and the whole front with
glass drops off nicely. Back has three screws that allow the mechanism them to
be slid out.  Very delicate - so handle carefully. I lubricated the shaft with
some graphite lubricant. Make sure you don't get it anywhere but on the shaft.
I used a wire to run the liquid down and into the right places. Cleaned up the
dust of the dial face and the crud off the glass, bezel etc.  It ran much
steadier than ever before. Not only cured the big wobble at 3000 rpm when hot
(and it was a tad warm at 94F yesterday) but all the time. Only one side effect
- the other insturments now need cleaned up.... The tach looks like new
compared to the other old ones.

Another great run yesterday. Local car club run to the local air museum to
celebrate "Battle of Britain Day". We even got on the TV news last night (usual
local interest stories section at the end) and made front page in the local
paper (http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=20551).  Then off to a winery
for picnic lunch - in the shade thankfully. Graet scenery and fun run with
about 12 cars even a coupleof new ones showed up.
But we were the only Spitfire. Now need to get more local Spitfires on the
runs.

Alan

p.s. Side note here - Changed the (manual) transmission oil on my Ford Contour
on Satudray and real high tech advancement in oil filling and checking - "fill
until fluid runs out filler hole" - sounds familiar! Also washer pump died on
that car. Second failed "water pump" in the last couple of weeks. Spitfire
still going strong on it's originals.