Big ends? Knocking noise from engine...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Big ends? Knocking noise from engine...
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:55:22 +0100
Hi everyone,

Coming back from the fabulous Duxford show, and having raved about the
reliability of my car (Hi Mike...), my engine decided that yesterday was the
day to give me problems. Just as I needed it to go back to Uni this week.

Anyway, the symptoms; a knocking/tapping noise, starts at about 2000rpm - gets
louder and faster (in time with the engine) as the revs increase. Doesnt make
so much noise when in neutral, but I can make it knock if I rev violently.

I tested the compression again, and thats all fine - 120psi or there about. It
got too dark yesterday to check valves etc

Haynes suggests big end or main bearings... but then it differentiates knocking
and tapping - and Im not sure which is which...

Im going to take it down the garage to let a proper mechanic listen to it,
rather than the monkey who usually does stuff (that's me)

So, could it be anything else, and what am I looking at for the garage to do
the work? Should I be brave and attempt to do it myself? Difficult? Never done
anything to an engine before in my life - but Im up for it if you all say it
*can* be done.

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit