Re: Removing Starter Motor

To: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>, Spit List
Subject: Re: Removing Starter Motor
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:17:22 -0700
At 02:12 PM 10/11/02 -0400, Andre Rousseau wrote:
>I'm painting my working engine block, but I might remove the starter
>motor for better access.
>
>Is there any oil or grease in that area?
>
>Thanks

Boy, if there is, then you have much more serious problems than the
starter!  The clutch / bell housing should be clean and dry inside.  If any
oil comes from that area, then you either have the rear main seal on the
engine block leaking or the front input shaft seal on the transmission blown.

While you have the starter out, be adventurous and take apart the
starter.  There's really not much to it and learning how the thing is
assembled can help with the understanding of the starter motor itself when
you have problems later with slow cranking and such.  This is a great time
to disassemble the starter and paint the case.  Paint or sandblast the end
housings back to silver and paint the steel body of the starter (contains
the field coils)  something nice.  Stock starters came in black and later
on also were fitted with blue paint, though I don't know why.  Perhaps the
blue starter casings were meant for California?

-Vegaman Dan