Re: Quid question

To: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Quid question
From: Philip Warburton <cplimey@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:57:22 -0800
Correct Joe.

Also, from my past with the old money the following were coins and notes
(from 10 shillings up, except a guinea):
1/4 penny was a farthing
1/2 penny was ha'penny (pronounced hape-enny)
3 penny was "thrupenny bit" (prounounced thrup-enny)
6 pence was also known as tanner
1/- (a shilling) was also known as a bob (12 pennies)
2/- (2 shillings) was also known as a florin (24 pennies)
2s 6d (2 shillings and 6 pence) was also called a half crown
5/- was a crown, but it was a very rare coin in my day
10/- was 10 bob
#1 was/is a quid
#1 & 1/- (a pound and a shilling, or 21 shillings was a guinea
#5 was a "fiver"
#10 was a "tenner"

Been a long time since I was a British residence, but I think all is correct
there.
If there is slang for the decimal coins, I don't know that.

Cheers,

  *** Philip ***
1975 Spitfire 1500 - FM32468U
(otherwise known as CJ)